Monday, February 16, 2009

Remembering my old school


Most of us would agree that the days we spent in our high school were certainly the best days of our lives. It was in school that we made our first friends, competed to excel, hoped for places in the sports teams, and learnt our first lessons about life. School life was all about the learning experience, the knowledge sharing, but the best part of the school life is all the fun one has with all our friends. In Birla High School we had the best of education and fun.

We had great teachers who gave all of us something to think about, besides our homework. They taught us from their heart and not only from the books prescribed to us. So after completion of our high school when all of us left our alma mater all of us knew exactly as to how much we did not know. This knowledge helped us to be imbued with a life long desire to know all that we did not know, which was really helpful in leading our day to day life. When we had joined school our minds were empty but now all of us had an open mind, ready to receive new ideas and thoughts. Our young minds had traversed the distance from darkness to light. Our teachers and institute had instilled in us the power of curiosity and so our minds were ready to continue the learning process as long as we were alive. Learning from our teachers was a treasure which has followed us wherever our life and circumstances have taken us.

I am certain of the fact that most of the boys who have studied in Birla High School have most often than not succeeded in their lives. The day my son Aman Bhargava was born, I started to think about his education and the name which instantly appeared on my mental horizon was Birla High School, my own alma mater. I tried to admit him to the Junior section and fortunately he succeeded in getting admission, to my favourite place on earth.

Today he is in Class XI and has turned out to be a fine individual, thanks to the teachers and the institute, with perhaps the best infra-structure as far as educational facilities are concerned in Kolkata. I have always believed that a mediocre teacher tells, a good teacher explains, a superior teacher demonstrates but a great teacher inspires. I would say with all my conviction and experience that almost all teachers in my old alma mater are the ones who INSPIRE. It is really great for me and my son to be a part of this great Institute of learning.

No comments: